The Dungeons of Shoreham

In 1857 there was a bit of to-do about the state of the Dungeons – a narrow high-walled alleyway between Victoria Road and what later became Connaught Avenue. It was the most direct pedestrian route between New Shoreham and Old Shoreham.

The 1857 newspaper report: “We have carefully inspected the footway under the Swiss Gardens, and are of opinion that more head-room is required in that part of the passage immediately under the Swiss Cottage, that the height from the ground should not be less than 6ft. 6.; that the passage should be made a little wider under the cosmormamic views; that the pathway should be levelled and made clean; and the water drained off on the right side, from east to west; that the water-spout should be prevented from dripping in the passage; and that sufficient light be admitted for passengers to discern where they tread, -all of which suggestions Mr. Goodchild has engaged to carry out, under the inspection and to the satisfaction of the Surveyors.”

1914 map showing the alleyway and dungeons (marked in orange) passing under the Swiss Gardens Theatre and footbridge.

There is only one photograph of the dark Dungeon:

The Dungeons looking East from under the Theatre c1910

In 1913 the derelict Swiss buildings that straddled part of the Dungeons were demolished and many mature trees were also felled to clear space for building the new Victoria Road County Junior School which opened in 1915. A new road was laid, named Swiss Gardens.

They didn’t win their way and the trees were felled, although saplings were planted along both sides of the new road.

1913 Looking North East on the site of the former Swiss Gardens. The wall in midground is still there in the Meads. Greenhouses in distance are now where Overmead is.
Swiss Gardens c1925 Victoria Road School before infants Bob Hill Collection ©SAS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *